Truly musical and versatile amplifier, have to congratulate designer Greame Holland, esp choice of kt 90, kt88, el 34 6550 valves suberb midrange amazingly well controlled bass top end is almost perfect, mine is partnered with Cadence Amaya Hybrid speakers do not want to switch them off
Audion Sterling El34 PCB Stereo Amplifier
Exclusively imported by True Audiophile
This is Audion's most economical, entry level amplifier. It’s built on an ultra high quality printed circuit board and, as with all our amps, is hand made. The volume control on the front and stereo inputs on the rear means that a preamplifier is not necessary with this unit. The amp is auto biased. It will take almost any EL34 (Unit is supplied with Electro Harmonix tubes) delivers a conservative 12 CLEAN watts into 8 ohms. Therefore, it has the power of competitors boasting 24-30W.
The Audion Sterling amplifier is a very conservative rated power amplifier and musical straight out of the box. The Mk1 version is priced to get people into the door, aimed at consumers who want to try a tube amplifier, but are on a tight budget. Sound wise, however, it sounds far better than its price suggests. In most cases competing with products 1.5 - 2x its price point.
This Audion amplifier is suited for use with loudspeakers of 89db or better efficiency. Ideally matched with Audion range of Proton cables. The Audion Sterling is a good entry level printed circuit board Class A power amplifier at a very appealing price point. Integrated option (5 Stereo inputs is available) This pentode based EL34 stereo amp uses a small amount of feedback in the design. The chassis is black powder coated aluminum as is the transformer cover. The top plate and badge are mirror finished stainless steel.
Components of the Audion components:
- Transformers and chokes are design and handmade by Audion: Mains, chokes and output transformers.
- Superior quality parts sourced from Europe or the US. Even the capacitors are made to Audion’s exacting specifications.
- Chassis’ are finished in-house which includes powder coating and electroplating to ensure quality.
- Special voicing of Audion amplifiers requires every part be meticulously designed to meet their standards.
- Every component is hand built usually point to point. Once burned in they listen again in case they are not satisfied before releasing each unit.
Warranty: 2 years. Tubes 6 months.
Audion SterlingEL34 PCB Specifications:
Power: 2 x 12 Watts Class A into 8 Ohms at 120V AC
Load: 8 Ohm Nominal
Distortion @ 1 Watt:
Frequency Response: 14 to >34KHz ±1 db
Sensitivity: Variable >200mV Full output
Noise: < (CCIR) – 85 db
Consumption: 130 Watts
Tubes: 2 x EL34, 1 x 5687, 1 x 6H1N
Size - 16.5in deep, 9in wide and 7.4in tall - Less tubes
Weight 24.25 lbs
Fuses - Power 4A / 120V HT 1000mA / 120V